Friday, June 1, 2012

Cute baby animals you won't see around here

My friends keep asking me what animals I'm going to bring home next, since I seem to have this whole farm thing going on in the backyard. Other than chickens who come and go, and rabbits who should soon be multiplying like rabbits, I think I'm done.

There aren't really any other animals I'm interested in that are suited to city life and can tolerate the kind of schedule I keep! As a doula, I go to about two births a month that can last 24 hours or more, and when I start attending births as an apprentice midwife, I'll be doing that once or twice a week.

It will be hard enough to keep up with the ones I've got, along with a cat who is crying for love all the time and would like to spend several hours a day snuggled in a baby sling, and a husband who thinks if there's nothing to eat if there isn't a big haunch of meat in the fridge, and a pesky mailman who keeps dropping off little pieces of paper that demand my attention every day...

Along with remembering to water the tomatoes and veggies, keep the weeds at bay, and taking time to take care of myself at least as well as I care for my clients and livestock...as well as making time to brew beer and drink beer...how do people do it?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds sensible to me! My sweetheart is the one who always wants to bite off an even bigger chunk of whatever we're doing (More blueberries! More chickens! Let's get a pig!) and I'm always the one putting on the brakes because I'd like to have a LITTLE left for myself!

    All that being said, is there anything cuter than a baby goat?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your plate is pretty full already. Your zoning probably prohibits keeping goats, sheep and cattle anyway. And if you got a pig, well, someone has to butcher it. Or you wind up keeping a cranky, lonely old pig and spending huge amounts at the vet on mysterious geriatric pig diseases.

    Besides, don't you have a house to remodel or something? On top of everything else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny...my little brother was talking about getting a pig until I gave him a copy of Farm City for Christmas...that seems to have changed his mind! I'm trying to convince him that he wants rabbits instead.

    House remodeling is happening! I'll be posting something about that again soon.

    ReplyDelete